Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pinterest, Hate To Love It

Quick rant: Pinterest is a concise way to see the work and ideas from thousands of sources all in one place. Crediting "Pinterest" with your craftiness is like saying "I credit this pan that I got my cookie off of, rather than the person that baked it." Food for thought.

I'm not anti-Pinterest. In fact, I think it's a great source of idea-sharing. It is indeed far more effective than spending hours combing through personal artist blogs or Google Images. But the process of removing an idea from its original source and putting it on a giant bulletin board does take away the element of authenticity. "I got this great idea from Pinterest!" Not unless the artist's name is Pinterest.

Pinterest is like a big blender of ideas. But I suppose that's what the internet is, isn't it.
'Merica.

1 comment:

  1. I came to this post via A Snails Pace whom I follow on facebook.
    I'm a bit like you...don't know whether to like or not. Presently, I don't pin anything, and I don't follow anyone on Pintrest. But I do search it for ideas. Most times it takes me many clicks to get to the original post and it does annoy me that the original 'blogger' is not made very apparent. One or two of my posts were pinned in the early days of Pintrest but I have disabled the function...not sure if this turns people off my blog, or just ensures that the diehards return. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete